Saturday, July 11, 2009

The Squirrels Had Taken My Tomatoes

The Squirrels Had Taken My Tomatoes

The squirrels had taken my tomatoes,
The vines now forlorn and bare,
In the heat of July they won’t bear again,
Even with water and care.

We built up the soil over the years
And water pipes carefully laid,
A twenty foot cattle guard made a good arch
For vines to get sun and the air.

The first Summer bugs drilled holes in the fruit,
The second year they ate the leaves
And now the squirrels took fruit that is green,
Greedy, little, furry thieves.

The land is infested with parasites
Who just take and don’t want to work,
Who want to share what others work to grow,
But don’t care to dig in the dirt.

I tell you my patience is wearing thin
Of thieves who just steal my produce.
If they come to my land stealing again
It’s time for the shotgun to use.

July 08, 2009, Texas.
An allegirical poem.
Copyright by Geezer Bela in Exile

1 comment: