Monday, June 4, 2012

Cheddaring cheese.

I had gotten into cheese making at the urging of my wife (waff as she is designated in Texas). Getting the equipment, finding and using recipes, deciding what we liked, preservation, etc had taken time.

By now I have mastered Swiss cheese, Havarti, Caerphily, Manchego and the quick Mozzarella. I had given up on Camambert, waiting for better times to make Blue cheese and I am studying cheddaring.

Basically, cheddaring is cooking the curd at low temp, 100F. So far, I have tried two ways of doing it. One is by stirring the curds at 100f in a pot and the second is my own modification. After I have sliced the curds into 1/2 inch layers, I put them into bread pans and floated them in 100f water in a canning pot. I poured off the whey after each 15 minutes and rotated the slices. The slices cooked and became somewhat rubbery. After an hour, I tore the slices into 1/2 inch chunks and pressed them. The method calls for pressing at 50 lbs overnight then an extra day. Why? Because the pieces are hard to press into a solid piece.

I will report back in a couple of months.

No comments:

Post a Comment