Thursday, June 21, 2012

The lesson of the silver Quarter.

It gets hot in Texas in the Summer. You just need to adjust your attitude in June to endure what's coming in July and August: heat and drought. It is the reverse of the sign I have seen in Maine: "if you can't stand the Winter, you don't deserve the Summer. Here, it is if you can not stand the Summer, you don't deserve the Winter - when it is mild, cool and the living is easy (no chiggers or mosquitoes). What does this have to do with the lesson of the silver Quarter? Like the TV receiver says, step #2 is coming, we are almost there. When you work outside in the morning, your overall gets sweaty and when you come in, you empty your pockets in preparation for a shower and clean clothes. And that's when I saw it. A shiny silver coin among the ones I emptied from my pocket. I check the coins so I can reduce the weight by winnowing the load and collect the pennies, nickels and dimes, which later get turned in at the coin machine. And among all the tokens was this real piece of money.How I got it I do not know, but it was there.

After the shower and clean clothes I went and checked its current value and googled "value of 1964 silver quarter." That brought up a slew of websites, all eager to sell me silver coins. But, one of them (eBay) actually put a price to it: $104 for a face value of $5 (twenty Quarters). Let's see, that's 5 times twenty (roughly) at $5/silver Quarter. WHATTT!!!??? I shouted. Then it dawned on me. That is the consequence of going from silver coins to worthless metal stuff. The govt stole 95% of the value of currency by deficit financing, which is made possible by the fiat money. And the more is printed, the less the value. I bet that the average Obama voter can not see that, because they have been dummed down in school and might not even know how to multiply or divide. Otherwise, they would treat any politician who debases the currency by deficit financing as a THIEF.

No comments:

Post a Comment