Sunday, April 30, 2017

CAPS: One disaster prevents me seeing the other.

I can watch hockey on four channels. For some reason, it was Channel 56's turn last night to broadcast the Capitals-Penguins game 2 of the playoffs. Except that channel 56 was riveted to the radar pictures as three tornadoes and all kinds of rotations (which did not touch down) rampaged through the Canton area of East Texas. So, I was spared the other disaster, the Caps game. The score that flashed on channel 215 was 1:1 and 220 broadcast a car race.

Thankfully, the storm petered out before it got to us so I did not see the final score till this (Sunday) morning. How much worse could the Caps do following Thursday's failure of the offence? Plenty. By a failure of the defense and goal tending as well. A shorthanded goal scored by the Pens, two on one breakaways and the goalie could not stop any of it. Holtby was pulled and his replacement promptly let in two more goals. And the team finished with an empty netter.

Some people thought that the Caps might do it this year, that they might get past Pittsburgh. It is not going to happen. It is ridiculous to play ice hockey into June. It was even 90 degrees in DC yesterday. That grape was probably (most likely) sour. Lucky I was not in Vegas. I would have lost my shirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment